1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 ounces applesauce (2 small apples, peeled, cored, microwaved, mashed)
1 1/2 teaspoons oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper..
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, oil, and extracts.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. As a firm dough starts to form, knead in the chocolate chips with your hands.
- Shape the dough on the parchment paper on the cookie sheet into a log.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool on a cooling rack for 10 - 20 minutes.
- Carefully slice biscotti to desired thickness - about 1/2". If the slices fall apart a little, just press them back together.
- Place the slices back on the cookie sheets, cut side down.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip the slices and bake the other side for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let the biscotti cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- If desired, melt 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and drizzle over the top of the biscotti.)
- Store in an airtight container.