It's that time of year when watermelons are ripe and the temperature outside is crazy hot. What is more refreshing than chilled watermelon soup? It's easy to make and a great way to use all that extra melon. By the way, the watermelons this year have been phenomenal!
Here's the recipe:
Chilled Watermelon Soup (from Southern Living July 2003)
Yield: 3 - 4 cups soup
- 4 cups seeded watermelon cubes
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Process first 5 ingredients and honey, if desired, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill 1 hour. Serve in individual bowls with a dollop of yogurt.
Stay cool and enjoy! Hope to see you here at the Americus Garden Inn Bed & Breakfast soon.