This is the first year that the birds and the beetles have decided to share the figs on our fig trees. With an abundance of figs, I decided it was time to try a new recipe. I found a recipe that was similar to a cobbler or a crisp and thought to myself, I can make this gluten free (so I can eat some). Be forewarned, the recipe yielded a high ratio of crumble to fig, so, if you would like less crumble, adjust accordingly. I started by harvesting some fresh figs, washed them and halved them.
I placed them in a single layer in a baking dish - about 16 figs fit perfectly as most were small.
I preheated the oven to 350 degrees as I assembled the crumble ingredients - butter, brown sugar, cocoa, coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and toasted pecans.
I allowed the butter to soften to room temperature and then added the dry ingredients to the butter.
It quickly combined into a dough.
I chopped the pecans
added them to the dough
and here is the finished crumble dough.
I placed some of the crumble on each fig half.
It took about 30 minutes for the figs to soften and start to release their juices, and for the crumble to turn a beautiful golden brown.
Kim and I both did a taste test - We both loved it!
So, the next time you have some figs that you want to play with, try this recipe. It was delicious! And, let me know how it turned out for you.
Gluten Free Fresh Fig Crumble
16 small figs, halved
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place halved figs in a single layer in a shallow baking dish, cut side up.
- Combine the next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl, mixing until it holds together.
- Add the pecans and mix until it is evenly incorporated.
- Place a generous amount crumble on top of each fig, gently pressing onto each fig.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the figs begin to release their juice and the crumble is nicely browned.
Thanks for visiting the Americus Garden Inn Bed & Breakfast. We hope to host your visit to Americus in the near future.