|Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Muffins|
I am always on the lookout for new recipes, especially those for people with special dietary needs. On the King Arthur Flour website, I found a recipe for Chocolate Coconut Cake made with coconut flour that sounded promising. In one of the reviews for the recipe, someone shared that the recipe made 10 muffins. So, I decided to cut the recipe down to make just 2 muffins, one for me and one for Kim. Here is the pictorial instructions to make 2 muffins, if you want to try it, too. The only substitution I made to the original recipe was I used brown sugar in place of regular sugar. These are not sweet and the cocoa coconut combination is really nice. However, next time I make them, I'm going to add some chocolate chips.
Here are the ingredients you will need: coconut flour, cocoa, baking powder, vanilla, sugar, 1 egg, butter, and salt.
Sift 4 teaspoons, or 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of coconut flour
with 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. Set aside.
Place 4 teaspoons or 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of cocoa
into a microwave-safe container with 1 Tablespoon of butter
Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until the butter is melted. Stir.
Add 1/8 cup or 2 Tablespoons of sugar (I used brown sugar)
and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
along with one egg to the butter cocoa mixture. Add a pinch of salt, if you like.
Whisk to combine.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixture
and whisk to combine.
Evenly scoop into 2 paper lined muffin cups - place water in empty cups to prevent hot spots.
Bake at 350 degrees
for about 20 minutes (check at 17 - 18 minutes)
Check with a toothpick for doneness - should come out clean.
Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Cake (recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour)
- 4 teaspoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 teaspoons sugar or brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin cups with paper liners
- Sift together the coconut flour and baking powder, mixing to combine; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter with the cocoa, stirring until well blended.
- Whisk the sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg into the butter-cocoa mixture. Add the coconut flour and baking powder, whisking until smooth.
- Divide the batter into the muffin cups. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake the muffins until set, about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Thanks for visiting the Americus Garden Inn blog. Come back and see us again, soon.