Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pina Colada Muffins

Pina Colada Muffin

I was looking for a new muffin recipe and came across a recipe for Pina Colada Muffins on the Welcome Home blog.  Marty has been sharing her mother's recipes along with some beautiful inspirational messages.  I did make just a couple of changes to her recipe.  I substituted coconut oil for the butter, I used drained crushed pineapple in place of the chunked pineapple and I omitted the coconut extract.  Because I used the crushed pineapple, I mixed the pineapple into the wet ingredients before mixing all ingredients together.  The result was a delicious, moist, beautiful muffin.  Hope you like it.  Please visit Marty on facebook and let her know I sent you!  And, thanks, Marty, for a great recipe.

PINA COLADA MUFFINS
Yield:  12 muffins

3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 heaping cup sugar
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put muffins liners in muffin tin. Take out buttermilk and eggs, so they can come to room temperature. In a large bowl, mix together flours, salt, baking powder, sugar, and coconut flakes. Set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and coconut extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t over mix or your muffins will be dry. Chop pineapple chunks to make mini chunks and then gently fold into muffin batter. Again, folding just enough to distribute pineapple bits. Sprinkle top with a little coconut that will toast during baking time.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tops of the muffins feel set when gently pressed. Cool a few minutes in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 


Pina Colada Muffins

1 comment:

Berth said...

I love Pina Colada which Always reminds me of my fave Hotel in Reischach -Thanks for the recipe