|Gluten Free Chocolate Donut Muffins|
Today, I tried a new recipe that I found online for gluten free chocolate donuts or muffins. Before you look at the ingredients, let me tell you that this is not a "healthy" recipe. It is a decadent recipe. One for special people and special occasions. It does not have gluten, but, it does have heavy cream. I used Kinnikinick All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix for the gluten free flour. Also, I halved the recipe, added 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips, and it made 10 small muffins. The bake time was much longer than the original recipe. They took 14 minutes, not the 8 minutes it states in the original recipe. Maybe in a donut pan it takes only 8 minutes. Hope you like it!
Thanks for visiting the Americus Garden Inn Bed & Breakfast. Come back soon.
Chocolate Doughnut Muffins – Gluten Free
Yield: 10 small muffins
slightly adapted from GlutenFreeOnAShoestring
3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
7 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons milk
drop of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare muffin tin with 10 paper liners or spray with PAM.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and nutmeg, Whisk in chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, oil, egg, vanilla, and cream.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin, fill about 1/2 - 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together confectioner's sugar, cocoa, 1 teaspoon of milk and the vanilla. Add a little more milk (1/2 teaspoon at a time) until desired consistency.
- Gently pull back paper liners and drizzle glaze over the muffins.