Thursday, September 2, 2010

Gluten Free Banana Muffin Recipe and Blueberry German Pancake Recipe

We had a wonderful visit this morning with a couple of women who became our friends when they stayed at the Americus Garden Inn Bed & Breakfast last year. Patricia and I had been dealing with similar health issues and I suggested that she try going without gluten on a trial basis. Well, it turns out that gluten was definitely making her very ill. Since I am gluten and soy intolerant, I understand how difficult it can be. I really make an effort to accommodate other people who have health issues related to food. So, this morning, I made a new recipe I had found for gluten free banana nut muffins.
As you can see, they looked beautiful. The recipe made 8 muffins. We all agreed that they tasted just as good as regular wheat-based muffins. I thought there might be someone else looking for a perfect small batch gluten free muffin recipe. Here it is:

GLUTEN FREE BANANA NUT MUFFINS RECIPE
1 large very ripe banana, mashed
3/8 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/8 cup oil (I used canola)
5/8 cup rice flour (I used organic white)
2 TBS chopped walnuts + 1 TBS for garnish
3/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp xanthan gum (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 8 muffin cups with liners or spray with PAM.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the banana, sugar, vanilla, egg and oil until very well mixed.
  3. In another medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients, including 2 TBS nuts.
  4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until all is well incorporated.
  5. Scoop evenly into 8 muffin cups and sprinkle tops with reserved nuts.
  6. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.
  7. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
  8. Enjoy!

Yesterday morning, I tried another new recipe for Baked German Pancakes, which are sometimes called a Dutch Baby. I used some beautiful blueberries that I had on hand and this is how the finished product looked before I cut it to serve. It looks delicious, doesn't it? I am certain that this recipe could also be modified to be gluten free although I did make it the traditional way with wheat flour. As my official "taste tester", Kim compared it to a crepe in flavor and texture. That means the recipe could easily be adapted for sweet or savory ingredients. One of our guests suggested smoked salmon, spinach and cream cheese with chives. Next time, I'll try something a little different. For now, here is the recipe for a Blueberry German Pancake or a Blueberry Dutch Baby:
BLUEBERRY GERMAN PANCAKE (baked)
aka BLUEBERRY DUTCH BABY
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TBS melted butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup blueberries
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Butter a 12" skillet or 4 - 6" skillets.
  3. Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk in melted butter.
  4. Combine flour, salt and cinnamon.
  5. Sift dry ingredients into egg mixture.
  6. Pour batter into buttered pan(s). (I used the small pans.)
  7. Arrange blueberries on top of batter.
  8. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. The edges will puff up and become a golden brown and the center should be set. If not quite done, turn oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake up to 10 minutes longer.
  9. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve.
  10. ENJOY!

Thank you so much for visiting us at the Americus Garden Inn Blog. If you try the recipes, please let me know how you like them. Until next time, have a wonderful day.

No comments: