Saturday, January 11, 2014

Gluten Free Almond Crispies Cookies

Best Almond Crispies Cookies - gluten free made with rice flour 
It's a dreary rainy day.  The perfect day to try a new recipe.  I found this recipe on Bob's Red Mill website and decided to give it a try.  What made this recipe appealing, to me, is that it is gluten free and it uses no eggs and no dairy.  I love finding recipes for special diets that actually taste good to everyone.  I only made 1/4 of the recipe and using my small cookie scoop, it made 10 cookies.  Small batch baking is my favorite, especially for gluten free baking as the gluten free products are very often best consumed right away.  So, give it a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Thanks for visiting the Americus Garden Inn blog.
Love,
Susan

Almond Crispies gluten free made with coconut flour


gluten free almond crispies made with coconut flour

Update:  1/13/14 top photo shows the new batch

I made these cookies again today.  Yesterday, I used coconut flour for part of the all purpose GF flour. You can see in the pictures above labeled "with coconut flour",  that there is a grainy texture. Today, I used rice flour.   The appearance of the cookies was a huge improvement.  I liked the flavor of both variations.  Neither came out "crispy", but, I preferred the version with just rice flour and almond meal/flour.  I am continuing to perfect my own variation and will post my small batch version on facebook, soon.  Be sure to visit us on Facebook.

Almond Crispies
Contributed by: Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods
A delightful gluten-free almond cookie everyone will enjoy.
Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Low Cal, Low Carb.
Ingredients

  • 1 cup GF All Purpose Baking Flour
  • 1/2 cup Almond Meal/Flour
  • 1/4 cup Sugar
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp Almond Extract
  • 1 Tbsp Water
  • 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1/3 cup Honey
  • 1/2 cup chopped Almonds (Whole Shelled)
Directions

Step 1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray;
set aside.
Step 2 In a bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
 In another bowl combine almond extract, water, oil and honey.
Step 3 Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and fold in chopped almonds.
Form dough into balls and place on greased cookie sheet.
Step 4 Bake 8-12 minutes until lightly golden. Let cookies set on baking sheet
10 minutes; remove carefully to cooling rack. Enjoy. 
Makes 24 cookies. 

No comments: