Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gluten Free Zucchini Cornmeal Pancakes (egg free)

What do you do with that extra zucchini?  Make zucchini pancakes, of course!
I bought this huge zucchini at Happy Patch produce for 50 cents.  I had no idea what I would do with it, but, for 50 cents, I thought "why not?"
Unfortunately, the seeds were huge and the skin was really tough.
So, I peeled a piece and scooped out the seeds.
 
I used the box grater and grated the one piece I had prepared.  It measured about 1 cup of zucchini.  I looked for a recipe that would use just one cup.  If the zucchini was inedible, no reason to waste the other ingredients or my time.
 
 I follow The Southern Lady Cooks on facebook and she just posted a recipe for zucchini hoecakes - for those of you not from the South, hoecakes are a type of cornmeal pancakes.  Her recipe called for 1 cup each of self-rising cornmeal, buttermilk, and zucchini with an optional pinch of cayenne (I used chipotle pepper).  I realized this might be a great gluten free recipe with the added bonus that it did not use eggs.  I am always looking for recipes that can be served to those with allergies or intolerances.  Using gluten free cornmeal, baking powder and salt, I prepared my own cornmeal mix and assembled the ingredients.
 I whisked the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
 Added the buttermilk and zucchini and mixed just to combine with a rubber spatula.
 I always use my electric skillet and I lightly greased the pan with coconut oil.  I used a big spoon and the recipe made 8 nice pancakes.
 When they looked golden and slightly crispy, I flipped them.  I did need to add a little extra coconut oil to keep them from sticking.
 Here is the finished product which Kim and I sampled with our guests.
 They were absolutely delicious.
Thanks to The Southern Lady Cooks for a great recipe.

Gluten Free Zucchini Cornmeal Pancakes
Yield:  8 pancakes
adapted from The Southern Lady Cooks zucchini hoecakes
  • 1 cup grated zucchini
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
  • 1 TBS baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • pinch chipotle or cayenne pepper
  • coconut oil for greasing the griddle
  1. Allow griddle to heat while assembling ingredients
  2. Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl
  3. Add zucchini and buttermilk to bowl and stir to combine
  4. Brush a thin coating of coconut oil on griddle
  5. Spoon batter onto hot griddle.  Flip pancakes when golden brown.
  6. When both sides are perfectly golden and nicely crisped, serve immediately.
Thanks for visiting the Americus Garden Inn Bed & Breakfast online.  Have a wonderful day.  Hope you'll visit again soon.


2 comments:

Judy said...

They look wonderful. Thank you so much for trying and enjoying my recipe. I am happy you could make it yours and think that is what cooking and sharing recipes is all about. Have a great week.

Americus Garden Inn Bed and Breakfast said...

Thank you so much for sharing such a great recipe.