Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vegan Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips


We had some guests last night who requested a vegan breakfast. I always try to accommodate special requests, whenever possible. So, I looked through the pantry to see what I could come up with. Since we also had non-vegan guests, I wanted to make sure everyone would be happy with my creation. Thank goodness, they were. I started by lining the muffin pan with liners and preheated the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, I sifted 1/2 cup of all purpose flour

with 1/2 cup of whole wheat

with 3/4 tsp of baking soda

and 1/4 tsp of salt

I gave it a good whisk

and all was well mixed.

In a separate bowl, I mixed 1/2 cup of sugar

with 3 TBS of coconut oil (you can use canola, if you prefer)

I added the coconut oil to the sugar.

and mixed.

I always have extra bananas in the fridge that are perfect for pancakes or muffins.

Using a fork, I mashed 2 bananas in a large measuring cup.


I added the banana to the sugar mixture and stirred with the fork.

Next, I added 1 oz of brewed coffee (Yes, coffee)

and 1/2 tsp of vanilla

Just poured it in with the banana mixture

and mixed well.


I made a well in the center of the dry ingredients.


added the banana mixture

and used a spatula to combine

As I was mixing, I added 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

and mixed just enough to combine

I scooped out the batter into 10 paper lined muffin tins

I added a little water to the extra muffin spaces.

They baked at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

They looked beautiful, and according to my guests, they tasted great. The non-vegan guests were totally surprised that they were vegan and asked for the recipe.

Here it is!
Love,
Susan
VEGAN BANANA MUFFINS WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Yield: 10 small muffins
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
3 TBS coconut oil
2 ripe bananas
1 oz brewed coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 10 small muffin tins with liners.
2. Sift dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3. In another bowl, combine sugar and coconut oil.
4. Mash the bananas and add them to the sugar mixture.
5. Add coffee and vanilla to banana sugar mixture.
6. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add wet to dry and stir to moisten.
7. Add chocolate chips and stir just enough to combine.
8. Scoop batter into muffin tins. Fill empty muffin spaces halfway with water.
9. Bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

No comments: